You know how it goes.
You suddenly start caring about the way you look and manage to gather all the confidence you need to show up in public to display your improved sense of style.
You look superb and feel great, but there’s a downside to this. The dreaded questions from coworkers, friends or family members.
Why are you so dressed up?
So What’s Wrong With This Question?
You surely have been asked this at least once. In strict theory, it shouldn’t be something bad per se. After all, people do wonder why you are so dressed up.
So I’ll cut some slack and say the question is actually valid the first time it gest asked. So “Why are you so dressed up today?” is something you can live with – not a big deal. In fact, you can simply accept this as a compliment, give a nice response and thank people for noticing.
But what about its ugly cousin: “Why are you so dressed up ALL the time?” (You know how they emphasize ALL when they ask you this, with a raised eyebrow on top).
No. It’s not a casual question. You know there is an implicit judgment that lies hidden deep inside the question.
“Why” doesn’t stand for a typical lighthearted inquiry, it’s more like a “what the hell is wrong with you” type of interrogation.
There is also the close relative question “Where’s the interview at?”. But we’ll tackle that one later.
So let’s take a look at some fun answers you can give to the question “why so dressed up all the time?”
22 Response Ideas To The Question “Why Are You So Dressed Up All The Time?”
Whether you’d like to respectfully justify your style, give a simple excuse or give them a snarky answer your intelocutor deserves (well, many of them), you’ll surely find a good response in this list. Enjoy!
- Why not? (short and sweet).
- I have somewhere else to go later. (Not ideal, since you won’t be going somewhere else every day).
- Because it’s important to me to look my best at all times.
- I refuse to lower my standards just to fit in. (they won’t like this one, I’m sure).
- I just wanted to try a new style for myself, I like it and I think I will keep it.
- I feel more comfortable this way (be prepared to further explain how dressing up is actually more comfortable to you).
- I have decided to start dressing more professionally so I can always make a good first impression.
- I’m on my way to become a CEO, and as they say, dress for the job you want.
- It’s a form of self-expression.
- The ladies love it.
- Out of respect for myself and for those around me.
- I know I look different to you, but you all look the same to me.
- I like being creative and dressing up is simple creative fun.
- I started reading My Dapper Self and so should you. 🙂
- Who? Me? This is not dressed up! Wait til you see me really dressed up.
- Because I am a rebel and a nonconformist of society.
- A blank stare, then walk away slowly. (You can replace the blank stare with an up and down stare).
- It’s a social experiment.
- Some men lead. Others follow. I lead.
- I could tell you why, but then I’d have to kill you.
- The real question is: why aren’t you?
- I feel more confident in a suit.
Granted, many of these are quite confrontational and can make you come off as an a**hole, so use them carefully. In the end, it’s better to pretend all comments and questions are well-intentioned and greet them with a simple sign of gratitude.
But the reality is, sometimes you just gotta give it to them!
Over To You!
I know you surely have some great answers for this question. Maybe out of personal experience or maybe an answer you have already prepared for when the questioning arises. Why don’t you go ahead and add them in the comments – let’s see who comes up with the best rebuttal!
Stay classy, gents!